Saturday, March 3, 2012

Lake Magic Shuffleboard Tournament

Today's blog is dedicated to my friend George who requested more coverage of Shuffleboard.  So George, this one is for you.  I don't know much about shuffleboard and played it once when I was 8 or 9 at a friend's country club that I was visiting.  I remember liking it as a child but never played it again.  Now I am staying at places that have beautiful shuffleboard courts yet I still have not played, why?  I don't know.   Shuffleboard, due to it's low physical fitness requirements, is a game the elderly can play and so it is associated with the elderly and why you usually can only find Shuffleboard on Cruise ships or Retirement places  which is why a lot of people don't play it.  However,  Table shuffleboard has now become a popular bar or pub game with younger generations.  Shuffleboard was a game for kings to play and gamble with and was started over 500 years ago.  The players are on one to two person teams.  They use a broom type padded handle to push a weighted puck sending it gliding down a narrow and elongated court with the purpose of having them come to rest within a marked scoring area.  I compare it to curling on ice but without the sweepers.  While we were out riding our bikes yesterday we passed the clubhouse where they were just beginning a shuffleboard tournament and thinking of George, we stopped, took pictures and watched some of the matches.  I have posted a slide show of the matches; enjoy George!  A Shuffleboard Hall of Fame was started in the U.S. in 1995 with the goals of recognizing excellence among participants in shuffleboard and to preserve the history of the game.  When I am in Wauchula I am going to play Shuffleboard just to try it.  Who knows, I might like it enough that I start playing in tournaments and end up in the Hall of Fame along with Pee Wee Ramos and Sol Lipkin.
Today we are going to be spending the day with Tim's brother and sister in law, Jim and Veronica.  We have not seen them in a couple of years so it will be good to be with them and catch up with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment