Friday, November 4, 2011

Northern Arizona University Flagstaff, AZ

Yesterday I went back to college.  Okay, I went to visit my college.  I have not seen campus in 27 years so I was very anxious to see what it looks like today.  Boy has it changed over the years!  There are still one or two areas of campus that look the same but that is about it.  There are so many new buildings and expansion of north and south campus that I was a little overwhelmed at first.  There is also a lot of construction going on all over the campuses that it was a little hard to walk around and tour the campus but we managed.  NAU was always a beautiful campus and once construction is completed it will be even more beautiful.
Northern Arizona Univeristy is located in Flagstaff, AZ where it's main campus is but it also has 39 satelite campuses through out Arizona.  Its enrollement is 25,600 students with 18,000 on the main campus.  The campus sits at 6950 ft above sea level.  It enjoys all four seasons and does get a large amount of snow in the winter.  It was founded on September 11, 1899 and opened under the name Northern Arizona Normal School.  Its first graduating class was in 1901 and consisted of four women who received credantials to teach in the Arizona territory.  In 1925 it became the Northern Arizona State Teacher's College.  During the Great Depression the college continued to flourish and enrollment went up eventhough the depression took its toll on the town of Flagstaff.  The college was able to get teaching jobs for its graduates.  Enrollment did go down during World War II and in 1945 the name  was changed to Arizona State College of Flagstaff until 1966 when the name was changed for the final time to Northern Arizona University.  Today iy currently offers 93 academic programs and has six colleges.
As Tim and I walked all over campus I told him several stories of college life and he was great with listening and letting me reminisce about my college life at NAU.  My dorm, Girls Highrise which is now called Reilly Hall, has not changed a bit and walking up to it I felt like I was 18 years old again and going home from classes.  I could not get into the dorm since all the dorms are now secured but it was good to see and be at it.  I have made some great friends at NAU that I am happy to still be in contact with them today. My time at NAU was fun both now and then and I am glad I had a chance to go and visit campus, see the changes and bring back so many wonderful memories.  Go Lumberjacks!!!

P.S.  My internet connection was bad so I was unable to create a slideshow but hopefully tomorrow I will be able to post more pictures of campus and Oak Creek canyon.  We have had some cold nights and overnight the leaves have changed making Oak Creek even more beautiful.  Those pictures will be included too!

No comments:

Post a Comment