Saturday, February 4, 2012

Thousand Trails Tournaments

I had no idea how popular Shuffleboard, Horseshoes and Paddle Ball are.  At the Orlando Thousand Trails Friday is Tournament Day.  As we passed the Activity Center we noticed  the heavy amount of Golf Carts parked by the Paddle ball and Shuffleboard courts.  There was a mass of people hovering around both courts.  So, before we left to run some errands, we decided to check it out.  There was a Shuffleboard Tournament going on and what made it even more interesting is that teams from other RV resorts in the area came to participate.  They even had team uniforms.  I have to admit I enjoyed watching the tournament and seeing so many active adults participating in the "sport" of Shuffleboard.  The strategies that were going just to beat out the other opponent was interesting.  I admit I LOVE Curling and Shuffleboard is very close to Curling without the ice and the sweepers.  One gentlemen, who thought he was being helpful to his wife's team, waxed up the discs which made them fly across the court. None of their discs would stay on the court reqardless of how softly the disc were hit.   I felt sorry for him because I know the rest of his day was going to miserable.  I am proud to say an Orlando Thousand Trails team won the tournament.  They have been victorious for a few years and did not want to break their winning streak. I then turned my attention to horseshoes.  I really don't understand horseshoes and so my attention span did not last long and I moved onto Paddleball.  It is like tennis but you use paddles and four people play using half a tennis court, length wise, with the net.  It is like watching Tennis and these teams give it their all.  Paddleball is a very popular activity at all Thousand Trail Resorts.  I remember in Mennifee and Cottonwood that being the one activity that continues through out the entire year.  So my day really consisted of enjoying the spectator role at Thousand Trails.  It made for an interesting day and killed a couple of hours!
Today we are going to Downtown Disney to take in the sights, have lunch and maybe catch a movie.  We will have to see what the day brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment