Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Magic Kingdom

The Magic Kingdom is one of four theme parks at Walt Disney World Resort.  It was the first park built at the Resort and opened on Oct. 1, 1971.  The layout and the attractions are similar to Disneyland Park in California where Cinderella's Castle is the center and 5 lands that surround it.  The Magic Kingdom has six lands that surround the Castle:  Mainstreet USA, Adventureland, Frontierland, Liberty Square (Disneyland does not have this land), Fantasyland and Tomorrowland.  Currently their is a major expansion that is happening in Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom.  Mickey's Toon Town was closed in 2011 to make room for the expansion.  There will be three new rides and a new restaurant dining experience along with the addition of Storybook Circus.  The Dumbo ride and the Goofy ride will be relocated in the Storybook Circus area. The expansion is due to open in 2012 and 2013.
Cinderella's Castle is 189 ft tall but benefits from a technique known as forced perspective (a technique that uses optical illusion to make an object appear larger or smaller, further away or closer than it actually is).  Cinderella's Castle appears so large when in reality the area around it makes it appear that way.  The second stories of all the buildings on Main Street are shorter than the first storey and the third stories are shorter than the second stories.  The top windows of the Castle are much smaller than they appear which results in the Castle appearing larger than it actually is.  In front of the castle is a statue of Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse called "The Partners".
We had a great time at the Magic Kingdom.  It was not crowded and we walked on almost every ride.  What a difference from when we were there last July.  We had a great time riding almost every ride and seeing almost every attraction.  I will post a slide show of all the pictures I took, edited of course since I took over 300 pictures, tomorrow. Going to the Magic Kingdom brings back memories of my first time going there with my Mom, Dad and Sister back in 1975 and then the several times we went there with Carrie & Jenny, family and friends.  I don't know how many times I have been to the Magic Kingdom but I do know I will be visiting it several more times.  Every time I go creates another memory!  The fireworks were spectacular and I love them every time I see them; it makes me feel like a kid!  It was a great day and Tim and I really enjoyed our time at the Magic Kingdom!

No comments:

Post a Comment