Friday, March 30, 2012

The County Fair Is Open

Ever since I have lived here in Clay County I have attended the Clay County Agricultural Fair with family and friends. Yesterday the 26th annual Clay county fair opened and runs through April 7th.    When we moved to Florida, over 20 years ago, we found out the county fair was a big deal and so we had to go.  It became an annual event for us.  When my kids were little it was all about the rides and pig races, yes I said pig races!  As the kids grew the rides were still the big thing but we also would watch some of the Country music stars that entertained at the fair.  Of course, fair food is another aspect of the fair.  Now a days the rides are not quite as important to me, which I can't believe I am saying this, but now the fair is about the atmosphere.  Walking around, looking at exhibits, enjoying the entertainment and food and enjoying just being there.  Now about the pig races, if you have not seen one they are really great.  There are four to six pigs that run around a little race track.  Some actually finish others just kind of stop and relax.  There is not 'official' betting on the pigs; it is just good family fun watching the races and they all have great names for the pigs that race.  The races alone are worth a trip to the fair. So, if you are around the Clay county area check out the Clay County Fair, I am.  

No comments:

Post a Comment