Tuesday, April 17, 2012

How To Build An Ice Cream Cart

How to build an ice cream cart?  No, I am not going into a new business while on the road but if I did an ice cream cart would work.  I volunteered to help my friend, Debbie, to build an ice cream cart for the TLC Dinner theater in May.  There is one scene in the show that needs a movable ice cream cart that opens up and serves ice cream (fake ice cream - I do not do refrigeration).  So, how do you build
an ice cream cart?  I started with a trip to Toys R Us so I could get a couple of large boxes and visit some friends while I am there.  The TRU trip for boxes took about 45 minutes, five minutes for the boxes 40 minutes to chat.  I then headed over to Debbie's house but stopped by the post office to mail my cards for my card club and then stopped by Chic Fillet to pick up lunch.  Before getting to Debbie's house I realized that it had been a while since I had been to her house so I called her for directions but could not get a hold of her so I called Tim for her address and put it into the GPS.  I got to Debbie's where she was waiting for me and we got the lunch and the boxes out of the truck.  The trip only took me about 45 minutes due to the long line at Chic Fillet.  When I went into Debbie's house we went to her back porch where she had all the other supplies ready to go.  We had lunch on her porch that overlooks a golf course pond, nice view and good lunch (about 30 min)  and then got busy with making the ice cream cart.  We found the right box, made the adjustments on the hand truck we were using for frame of the cart and proceeded to make the aluminum door and covered the box with white paper.  Once we got the box covered we started figuring out how to add the umbrella and create a holding tray inside the cart.  We figured out what we were going to use for ice cream and Debbie showed me some of the graphics that she was going to print up and put on the cart. After we finished the cart, without graphics, we talked for a little bit then Debbie showed me some of her new kitchen appliances she just got; a nice new fridge and a really cool cook top that heats the food but not the surface.  I then headed for home.
The whole process took about about four hours and as you can see there are a lot of steps to making an ice cream cart, which took one hour.  I was glad I could help Debbie with the cart because I also got to do so many other things too!  It was a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment